An example of virtualScroll and Infinite Scroll in Ionic 2

by - August 04, 2016

A few days ago, the Ionic blog released a great entry on Ionic 2 and APIs: 10 Minutes with Ionic 2: Calling an API. In this post, Andrew describes how you can use the Ionic CLI to generate both an application and a boilerplate HTTP service, or more accurately, a “Provider”.
If you walk through this his tutorial you’ll end up with a simple application that drives a list of people via the Random User Generator. I was thinking about how you would take this application and convert it to use an infinite (well, near infinite) list of people instead.
To begin, I used the Random User Generator to output a huge list of users. I didn’t want to abuse their API so I did one big call, saved the JSON, and then imported that data into my LoopBack application running locally. (If anyone wants to see how that’s done, just ask. I basically reused some of the logic from my blog post: Seeding data for a StrongLoop app). The net result was that I had a lot of “People” data that I could use via a REST API - a bit over two thousand.
My first change was to people-service.ts. The original code would cache the result. My modified code removes this cache and supports a parameter telling it what index to begin fetching results. This is all part of the LoopBack API and I’ll be talking about that in a blog post over on theStrongLoop blog later this week.

import {Injectable} from 'angular2/core';
import {Http} from 'angular2/http';
import 'rxjs/add/operator/map';

/*
  Generated class for the PeopleService provider.

  See https://angular.io/docs/ts/latest/guide/dependency-injection.html
  for more info on providers and Angular 2 DI.
*/
@Injectable()
export class PeopleService {

  perpage:number = 50;
  
  constructor(public http: Http) {}

  load(start:number=0) {

    return new Promise(resolve => {
      
      this.http.get('http://localhost:3000/api/people?filter[limit]='+this.perpage+'&filter[skip]='+start)
        .map(res => res.json())
        .subscribe(data => {

          resolve(data);

        });
    });
  }
}
Note that I’m hard coding a perpage value. In theory the service could let me change that, but I wanted to keep things somewhat simple.
Now let’s look at the Home page. First, let’s consider the view.

<ion-navbar *navbar>
    <ion-title>
        Home
    </ion-title>
</ion-navbar>

<ion-content class="home">
    
    <ion-list [virtualScroll]="people" approxItemHeight="50px">
        <ion-item *virtualItem="#person">
            <ion-avatar item-left>
                <ion-img [src]="person.picture" width="48" height="48"></ion-img>
            </ion-avatar>
            <h2>{{person.name}}</h2>
        </ion-item>
    </ion-list>

 <ion-infinite-scroll (infinite)="doInfinite($event)">
   <ion-infinite-scroll-content></ion-infinite-scroll-content>
 </ion-infinite-scroll>
    
</ion-content>
The changes here are two-fold. First, I changed the list to support VirtualScroll. This is the Ionic V2 version of collectionRepeat, basically a list optimized to handle a butt load of data.
Secondly - I added the InfiniteScroll directive. This is pretty simple to use (you’ll see the code in a moment), but don’t forget this little gem in the docs: “When this expression has finished its tasks, it should call the complete() method on the infinite scroll instance.” Yeah, that’s pretty important. But I’ll pretend I didn’t miss that. Ok, so let’s look at the code behind the view.

import {Page} from 'ionic-angular';
import {PeopleService} from '../../providers/people-service/people-service';

@Page({
  templateUrl: 'build/pages/home/home.html',
  providers:[PeopleService]
  
})
export class HomePage {
  public people:any = [];
  private start:number=0;
  
  constructor(public peopleService:PeopleService) {
    
    this.loadPeople();
  }
  
  loadPeople() {
    
    return new Promise(resolve => {
      
      this.peopleService.load(this.start)
      .then(data => {
        
        for(let person of data) {
          this.people.push(person);
        }
        
        resolve(true);
        
      });
            
    });

  }
  
  doInfinite(infiniteScroll:any) {
     console.log('doInfinite, start is currently '+this.start);
     this.start+=50;
     
     this.loadPeople().then(()=>{
       infiniteScroll.complete();
     });
     
  }

}
Ok, so there’s a few important changes here. First, I made loadPeople return a promise. I needed this so I could listen for it to complete when running my “get new stuff” code. I’m keeping a variable, start, to know where I am in the list of data and you can see doInfinite as the handler for fetching more data. Pay special attention to the infiniteScroll.complete() call. As the docs say, you need to do this to let the InfiniteScroll control know stuff is done. Also note that this.start+=50 is problematic since 50 has to match the perpage value in the service. I could make it detect how many items were added in the last call, but again, I wanted to keep it simple.
Here is a snazzy animated gif of it in action:

Unfortunately, the code does not appear to work in iOS. I have no idea why (no error is thrown), but it works fine in Android and via ionic serve.
If you want the complete source code for this, I’m more than happy to share it, but bear in mind this is part of a larger LoopBack app. I’ll share a link to the entire application, but the Ionic specific stuff may be found in the app1 folder.

You May Also Like

0 comments